The FAIR and GREEN e.V. started its climate protection initiative on 01.03.2017 under the keyword "Save Climate". For the association, this means that it will work together to promote climate-friendly practices in viticulture. The initiative consists of two main building blocks:
- Bundling of climate protection measures
- CO2-neutral production from procurement to sales
The greenhouse gas emissions of the wineries have played an important role at FAIR'N GREEN from the very beginning, because we are concerned with a sustainable reduction of all negative environmental effects of wine growing, development and marketing. For all FAIR'N GREEN wineries, the energy consumption-related greenhouse gas emissions are recorded annually. FAIR'N GREEN regards it as proven that the differentiation in terms of the environmental friendliness of agricultural products cannot be based on plant protection alone. Instead, other environmental effects such as climate impact, the effect on biodiversity and ecosystems and, of course, energy and resource efficiency must be given equal consideration - and this applies throughout the entire production process of the product right up to the consumer.
“Save Climate” climate protection initiative
"We are aware of our responsibility for environmental and climate protection and take care to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases to a minimum in all areas of wine production. We therefore take far-reaching measures to reduce the CO2 footprint of every winery:
In order to do justice to their special responsibility for the climate, the FAIR'N GREEN wineries implement comprehensive climate protection measures. These include, among others:
- Purchase of green electricity at the winery,
- Improving energy efficiency and promoting the operation of modern energy supply technologies such as geothermal energy, combined heat and power plants, solar and photovoltaic systems,
- Reduction of fuel consumption and use of biofuels and promotion of electric mobility,
- Use of lightweight glass bottles (with a guide value of 420g) for all wines in the basic segment,
- Extensive recycling and minimization of residual waste,
- Avoidance of mineral nitrogen fertilizers in order to avoid the formation of nitrous oxide,
- Safeguarding biological diversity,
- Regional procurement to avoid emissions from logistics,
- Use of climate-neutral transports in Germany and promotion of climate-neutral transports abroad,
- Reduction of air travel
An important part of the climate protection initiative is also the awarding of CO2-neutral products. The complete analysis required for this according to Greenhouse Gas Protocol has so far been implemented for the Egon Schmitt Winery in Bad Dürkheim.
CO2-neutral wine as part of the climate protection initiative
Some FAIR'N GREEN members have already taken so many climate protection measures that the path to a CO2-neutral winery is open for you. For these particularly committed wineries, it is therefore possible to comprehensively calculate the greenhouse gas emissions of wine production from procurement to sales and to offset the remaining emissions with recognised climate protection certificates:
- Calculation methods
- Measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from wine production
- How does a wine become CO2 neutral?
- Our offsetting projects